Shari Sherman

Shari Sherman

Thursday, May 4, 2006

What the Hell?


I'm not even going to bother with fixing this image. You get the point, and it's just too much trouble for what it's worth.
My husband comes home today and asks the question, "what, no vacuuming?" Needless to say, he really should know better than to EVER mutter that phrase. So after some heated "discussion", I am now locked in the studio, typing madly.
So, this brings up the point of how people who don't work from home think that people who do, don't really work, or that they can put their work on the back burner to do everything else that needs to be done. I have worked from home for about 10 years now and people still don't get it. And that is concerning my "real job" not my studio time or painting. Even though that is my business, I feel like I have to fight for the time to come in relax and create. Like that time is reserved for the wee hours, when everyone else and thing is taken care of and tucked in. My mother-in-law called the other day and asked me, are you working or are you painting? What the Hell??? Both. I am trying to not appear as a raving psychopath, but sometimes I just want to throttle people.
I know this is going to be an ongoing issue, but I will fight like a wildcat for the rights of my creative being. The really sucky thing is that I don't mind vacuuming. I happen to like housework. I adore Martha! The real issue is trying to balance everything between all of the different roles going on. That the real trick.
By the way, that's my hubby and my girl kissing in that picture. It just melts my heart. Makes me want to go vacuum...

2 comments:

  1. You're too funny! It sounds like an interesting balance, one that a lot of bloggers seem to be dealing with. Keep fightin girl! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I was just thinking of writing about the joys and travails of self-employment!! At least, my husband also works at home so I don't get vacuum-cleaner comments, but I think even some close friends don't get it. But that's not the worst for me: it's the lack of a boundary between work and life. When home becomes about work, it's hard to stop working (or at least worrying about it) every waking moment spent at home. Hm.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha friends! It's so nice to hear from you!