Shari Sherman

Shari Sherman

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

OK, no more slacking...


I am going to make a true effort to blog more
and not let little petty excuses get in my way
such as
I can't find a photo to post.
The above is a painting I just finished and mailed to
the Lyssa Morgan Gallery in Tampa.
She is doing a show called
1000 Square Feet
wherein all the peices are...you guessed it
12 x 12 (square foot).
I don't think I'll make it to the opening, but I wanted to be a part of it nonetheless.
In other news from my world, I attended the
SCBWI workshop in Orlando
this past Saturday and I had the best time.
My expectations when I went in were to meet some people, get some good info, and just to plain check it out. I was a little intimidated as this is the first conference of this sort I've been to. In fact, I just joined the SCBWI about a month and a half ago after reading about it in Laini's blog. Thanks again Laini!
I got plenty of great info and just being around a collective group of like minds is wonderful. I met some great supportive people with a lot to share. The best part is that I have a greater sense of where I'm at and what I need to do to get to where I want to be.
So now I am going to follow this path of writing, illustrating and submitting a children's book with more focus and determination. I have so many ideas just waiting. I learned a great deal about the process of submitting and taking the mystery out it just makes it seem all that more possible. Maybe I'm being delusional, but delusional works for me sometimes. I'm sure Theodore Geisel had a few delusional days!
Also the illustration speaker was interesting in that he is an illustrator venturing into the art gallery realm, and I am kinda going the opposite direction but the same result, doing both. A successful art entrepreneur once gave me some advice that seemed to work for her....have your eggs in several baskets. I have been trying to explore as many opportunities as I can with my art. Whatever feels right. Every day I can feel myself getting closer to reaching my goal of FULL-TIME ARTIST!! Why not? Why not!
This reminds me that I want to discuss the topic of being an art whore. I don't think I am one but.... we discussed this topic in my Artist's Way group. I'll go into it more at a later time.
For now I will get my submission ready to send out (I'm giving myself a 6-month deadline) and get ready for the next conference in Miami in January. I highly recommend going if you are at all interested in writing or illustrating for children.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:48 PM

    bravo for putting your eggs in as many baskets as possible - great bit of wisdom! love the painting :)
    ~mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun painting and great idea the gallery has for this exhibition.
    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.
    Keep pianting and creating. before long you will be a full time artist.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha friends! It's so nice to hear from you!