Shari Sherman

Shari Sherman

Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Magnificent VOG 7


Please forgive me for neglecting the blog! Getting ready for a show is usually pretty crazy in the final week and this show was no different. Compound that with end-of-summer/back-to-school activities and you get the picture. The reception for this show featuring my amazing art group, VOG 7, will be August 14, at 7 p.m. at the Casselberry Art House. For all of you locals, I'd love to see you there.

These are a few of the peices that I will have in the show. The color is NOT right but I'm going to let it go for the sake of time management. The above painting is the first in a new spirit series I'm working on. This one is called Halo. It depicts a rainbow ring around the sun. I don't know if you have ever seen one of these in real life....it is AMAZING!! My daughter spotted this one while we were at New Smyrna Beach earlier in the year. Regrettably, I didn't have my camera. In addition to being called a rainbow ring, it is also called a Halo, and some call it The Eye of God. Hence, this painting was borne from that. I did a few mixed media pieces for the show and I am really diggin' it. I'm feeling a crossover happening soon.


Next up, is the mask that I featured in the last blog post. I absolutely LOVE how it turned out. The whole process was quite an achievement and really opened up my creativity in a lot of ways. I haven't worked with sculpture of any sort for quite some time, so it was kinda cool to do that. In addition to the lessons this mask taught me about endurance and perfection, it really taught me to have patience even when you need to work quickly. Remembering to breathe has a lot to do with it. This whole mask was an exercise in breathwork. Ahhhh, so much wisdom comes from just doing.  That's a little bluebird of happiness up top (I made his legs out of Q-tips!)

Next up is BE. I showed some blurry out-of-focus snippets of her before she was completed in a prior post, while I was working on her during vacation. She is really not "completed" yet, I have a few other ideas for her...like a little messenger art tote bag with her kit of brushes and sketchbook, and Velcro hands so she can hold things. A lesson from this project....it is fun to play with dolls. I had a great time sewing and making use of little saved items. Play is good for the creative soul.


This is her little bio that I made for her. She is quite a fearless, creative companion!
********
So, this week I'll be doing final prep for the show and final back-to-school shopping. Oh, and my daughter's 8th birthday is coming up on the 22nd! A couple of busy weeks ahead. We'll see what adventures unfold.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha friends! It's so nice to hear from you!