Shari Sherman

Shari Sherman

Monday, November 7, 2011

Hangin' with one of my favorite artists...and Wyland too!


This weekend I had the great opportunity to hang out with my friend, Maureen.  With both of us being busy moms, it was a rare chance for us to connect one-on-one.  Maureen is a wonderfully creative woman, a true inspiration in motherhood, art, and business. I was so lucky to be able to accompany her out to the Polynesian Resort at Disney where she was to present her Redfish wood sculpture to the amazing artist, Wyland, as a donation to the Wyland Foundation.  Wyland looked at Maureen's sculpture and said with gratitude, "That is ridiculously good!"  A thrilling moment for Maureen, you could practically see the lovebeams radiating all around. There we are with Annette, Wyland's girlfriend.  Behind every cool man is a super cool woman and that is her. She is an amazing creative herself. A diver, her passion is underwater photography.

We stayed at the event for about 4 hours along with a crowd of Wyland's fans. He started and finished this manatee painting which was later auctioned for $16,000!! Not bad for a few hours of painting! One of my favorite things about him, is that he doesn't follow the "rules" of art (as if such a thing exists!). He mixes oils and acrylics and oil pastels. Hmmm, basically, he uses mixed media!
When I was younger, I was something of a rock groupie. Following bands around, finding out which hotels they were staying in and reveling in the rare chance to meet the musicians. Times may have changed, but the groupie inside me, not so much. Except now I am thrilled when I get a chance to meet one of my favorite artists. Especially, when that person and those around him turn out to be really nice people. I have admired Wyland for quite awhile.  First, because he has the amazing ability to capture the "light" in water. Also, because his subject matters are those that are near and dear to my heart as well, sea turtles, dolphins, whales, and Hawaii. Not to mention his phenomenal foundation dedicated to educating children around the world about the preciousness of our oceans. And lastly, because he is living the life that I dream of...art, Hawaii, traveling, success! 

As we left the resort, with our signed goodies in hand, anxious to get back and check out the pictures, we both were on cloud 9. Meeting Wyland was a dream come true for both of us. I felt filled to the brim with inspiration, possibilities and positive energy. (Oh, I forgot to mention the rainbow that appeared right outside the atrium we were in. Sweet.)
Ahhhh, it was a good day. My heart full of gratitude for friends and art!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha friends! It's so nice to hear from you!