Shari Sherman

Shari Sherman

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Start anywhere...

Swatchbook by Shari Sherman Feb 2017
I have to admit I was a little bit shocked to see how much time has passed since I last did a blog post. I've been here before, letting my blog go and then wanting to come back to it. Last year was a bust. A write off. The death of my mother almost a year ago derailed me. I lost that creative feeling and am now just starting to get it back. I didn't feel like teaching. I didn't feel like painting. I didn't feel like finishing big projects. I've kept myself going with small snippets of creativity. Doodles here and there, Playing with words and color only when I felt like. I know myself well enough to know that there are times when I just can't push myself. I have had to work my way through with care. I'm not going to make any sweeping promises about being consistent or state any goals like "one blog post a week". Nope. What I am going to do is just start again from where I'm at with what I've got. 

Last month I felt inspired to follow Rae Missigman's Art Marks daily exercise, a 30-day challenge with prompts for different art marks each day. It felt do-able. I decided on a creating a little swatchbook with a ring binder and 30 pieces of paper to fill it. I consciously resisted pressuring myself and let the little book take its form. After the 30 days, I decided to start another little swatchbook. This time without prompts, just add some creativity each day. It can be anything: Collage, watercolor, drawing, sewing, writing,..I even hole-punched my Alvin Ailey ticket stub and added that. It feels good. It feels like inspiration. And it feels like little sparks are starting to fly...

and that is where I'm at. 

Until next time, Lovebeams to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aloha friends! It's so nice to hear from you!