Shari Sherman

Shari Sherman

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Breathe through the tight spots...


I, like many others, enjoy doing yoga. I am by no means a yogi or yogini (whatever the difference may be) but I do feel energized and rejuvenated and see the clear benefits of the stretching, the breathing, the connecting. There is something that one does when doing yoga and I like to call it breathing through the tight spots. It is when you use your breath to let go of that bit of tension, to get to just that little bit extra stretch. Pushing yourself just that littlest tiniest bit can make all the difference between remaining stuck and feeling exhilarated. Deep, deep breath, and let it go.

I bring this up because over the weekend, and actually throughout last week, as I am getting my blog active and my creativity stoked and my art career revved up, I find myself feeling a bit uncomfortable. I feel behind. I feel like I have to catch up.

 
This was evidenced last week when I spent some time trying to create a button for this blog. Even though I spend a great deal of my time on the computer, I am not yet computer savvy as far as creating gadgets goes. I can spend hours working on things that take others 10 minutes to whip up. It can be a little disheartening. It can open the door to self doubt.
But, that's where the breathing comes in. Breathe through the tight spots. Here are some helpful hints for pushing yourself past the places where you might feel stuck.
1.  Breathe in and out.  On your breath out, say to yourself...I can do this. (Because you can.)
2. Just do your best. And then do it again. Just keep going. Perseverance is the key. Don't give up. You will figure it just like everyone before you. Then, you will have the golden opportunity to pass on what you've learned!
3. Be gentle with yourself. Learning takes time. Put the time in, take some breaks and get back at it. It takes over 10,000 hours of doing something to become an expert (from the book, The Outliers). 10,000 hours!! So, don't expect yourself to become fully accomplished in an that extra hour before you go to bed.
4.  Go to your studio and make something! Anything. A card for a friend, an art journal page, work on a sewing project, or a painting that you have had swirling around in your head. Get your creativity out! This will be the salve to help you get through being stuck, through the feelings of frustration. Doing. Do something every day and you will be further along. You will have that.  And that will fuel you on for the next day. It's that simple.

These pics are crops of 2 out of 3 large paintings that I have been working on, that have helped me get through some tight spots over the weekend. Consistently spending time in the studio is like magic. I'll reveal more in the next day or so. Until then....
Go In and Be Kind.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Well said sweetie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm also a sponsor this month on FEED YOUR SOUL ART blog and wanted to stop by and show some blog follow love! Hope you can stop by my blog: www.manoymetal.blogspot.com too! I love networking with fellow creative ladies!

    Have a great day!
    Des.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the crops, can't wait to see more! Btw, I don't know of anyone who can whip up a button in 10 mins. I admire what you are doing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Aloha friends! It's so nice to hear from you!