Shari Sherman

Shari Sherman

Thursday, October 4, 2012

I'm on a diet...but it's not what you think


Although I probably could lose a few pounds, the type of diet I'm on doesn't involve resisting chocolate chip cookies or Papa Bee's teriyaki chicken wings.  For the past few months, I have been on an ART SUPPLY DIET.  If you're like me, and I know a lot of you are, you can resist the chips and the sweets, 
BUT, let me browse the colorful aisles of Michael's and I get heart palpitations.
Seriously.

It all started back in June, during my coaching sessions with the awesome, Stephanie Guimond, as part of her Get Clear, Get Moving program.  I have a project I'm working on, and as we discussed ways to work towards its completion, the excuse of "lack of funds" reared its ugly head. She helped me get some perspective on either cutting spending or making more.  Well, since then, I've actually been doing both.  (I'll go into Making More in my next post). 
As far as cutting spending, I did an honest appraisal of where my money was going, and besides wings and chocolate chip cookies...my money was going to buy art supplies.

 We've all been there...lured in by the 40% off coupon, telling ourselves we're just going for one item...maybe glue or some varnish. Then we take a quick look down the clearance aisle, just to see if there is anything that we will no longer be able to get.  Before you know it, your basket is filled with goodies, and your wallet is a lot lighter.

Here's the problem with that...
I literally have a TON of art supplies. As in if someone weighed the contents of my studio, it would probably equal 2,000 pounds. 
All of it accumulated from trips like I just described above.

So,  I made the decision that I'd rather complete my project than stock my studio like it's a mini-Michael's.  I vowed to myself and to Stephanie (it ALWAYS helps to vow to someone else) that from now until the completion of my project, I would be on an art supply diet.  Since I am a working artist there would be the exceptions for any supplies that are needed directly for commissions or workshops. 

And guess what, after the first couple of weeks of reminding myself, I settled into the habit of searching my studio for supplies. And much to my surprise I have found quite a bit of stash that I had forgotten about.  I have been digging deep in more ways than one.  It has forced me to be more creative, to work with what I have, to use it up, and figure it out. And mostly it has switched my perspective from lack to "Wow, I really friggin' have a LOT." 
And for that I am thankful.
Turns out I've actually gained quite a bit on this diet.

Anyone else need to go on a diet?
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. YEEEEEE-OUCH! I recognize this way too much. Although I have tried so very hard to cut down, I have to admit I have cheated. Damn those coupons!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you are an inspiration Shari! Ack! So good, congratulations. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy8:59 PM

    Those coupons are addictive! It's a constant struggle to resist the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea. I am going on a diet and will be making many amazing creations.
    Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I recognise this. When ~I fist started having fun creating I was on a very limited budget and I think it really helped me to look past the latest 'must have' and find ways to use what I did have. More recently it has been easier and I have noticed sometimes that it is an easy option to go and buy rather than to root in drawers for alternatives, but nowhere near as creative. I a, seriously thinking of doing this a swell.

    ReplyDelete

Aloha friends! It's so nice to hear from you!